Each month, Silsal’s Spotlight series will feature chefs, stylists and artists who have inspired and delighted us. This month we are featuring Yasmine Idriss from Petites Choses, who is a food stylist, mother and food blogger at the same time.
At Petites Choses we are always on the lookout for simple yet impressive entertainment ideas and recipes. Recently we were searching for an easy way to transform the simple cupcake into a masterpiece. As I was searching for inspiration, I came across a modern grey plate from Silsal which was decorated in beautiful arabesque geometric Kufic calligraphy. It was the perfect starting point!
I wanted to create a dessert that would match the plate – modern and contemporary but at the same time indulgent and rich, like the gorgeous calligraphy. After much deliberation we decided to create vanilla cupcakes with rose and vanilla buttercream, crushed pistachios and dried baby rose buds – simple, delicious and oh-so-impressive!
Recipe: The Modern Cupcake
Use your favorite vanilla cake or cupcake recipe and bake.
Rose Vanilla Buttercream
Enough to ice 12 cupcakes
- 250g sifted icing sugar
- 80g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 25ml of whole milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract or seeds of 1 vanilla pod
- 1/4 tsp rose essence
- Beat the icing sugar and the butter together in a mixer on medium speed, or use a hand held mixer, until well mixed and smooth.
- Slowly add milk, vanilla extract or seeds and rose essence.
- Mix on a high speed until the frosting becomes light and fluffy, about 3-5min.
- Place a dollop of buttercream over the top of cooled cupcakes and swirl around with a small spatula.
- Decorate with the dried mini rose buds and a sprinkling of crushed pistachio.