Brussels-based food blogger Douceurs d’Alger shares the recipe for her Algerian-inspired Chebakia Cake.
Sophie Vanderhaeghe, the super-talented foodie behind Douceurs d’Alger, shares the recipe for her deliciously modern take on traditional Chebakia Cake. Whether celebrating a birthday, birth or marriage, it’s the perfect treat for any special occasion.
- Preheat oven to 180 °C.
- In a bowl, add eggs, sugar, honey, salt and vanilla sugar.
- Mix with an electric whisk on high speed.
- Add sunflower oil, cinnamon, orange blossom water, vinegar, crushed anise and fennel seeds, and mix for another minute.
- Add flour and baking powder and mix.
- Finally, add ground almonds and yogurt then mix for another minute at high speed.
- Grease a cake tin and pour in the prepared mixture.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes and set aside.
- Heat 50g of honey in a small saucepan until it becomes liquid.
- Brush the top of the cake with the honey and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Let cool before removing from cake tin.
- Serve with tea or coffee.