Fathima Mansoor, the mastermind behind ( @TableForFiveDubai) shares her recipe for the Middle East’s most famous dessert.
Iconic and delicious, these bite-sized morsels of phyllo pastry and ground nuts, dripping with sweet syrup, are a rich and decadent treat. Here, Fathima Mansoor, AKA @TableForFiveDubai), shares her recipe for Baklava Rolls, which are sure to tickle palates and tantalize taste buds.
For the rolls:
- 500g phyllo pastry, defrosted
- 100g walnuts, ground
- 100g almonds, ground
- 100g pistachios, ground
- 225g ghee, room temperature
- 50g crushed pistachio, for garnish
- Butter, for brushing
- ½ cup water
- 2 tsp orange blossom water
- ½ lemon, juiced
- Add 150g sugar to the water and bring to the boil.
- Leave to reduce until the mixture thickens, and can coat a spoon. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Once cool add orange blossom water and lemon juice, then set aside.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 160ºC, and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- In a bowl, mix together the nuts and remaining sugar.
- Lay out the phyllo pastry onto a flat surface, covering it with a damp cloth.
- Take one sheet of pastry and brush with ghee.
- Then, cut it into 4 equal rectangles.
- Place a tablespoon of the nut mixture onto each rectangle, about 2cm from the bottom and 1cm from the sides.
- Fold the sides of the pastry in towards the middle to cover the nut mixture, then fold the bottom of the pastry over, and carefully roll it.
- Repeat until all nut mixture is used. Then, place all of the rolls on the baking tray and brush generously with butter.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, and while still hot, pour over the syrup, and let cool.
- Sprinkle over the crushed pistachio to garnish.