One for the coffee lovers, this indulgent recipe by Maya Ammous (AKA @thekitcheneditor) is rich and full of flavour.
Foodie and cake decorator, Maya Ammous (or the @thekitcheneditor), shares the recipe for her famous Coffee & Date Cake. Moist and delicious, with a hit of coffee, grown-up desserts don’t get much better than this. And while we love coffee-flavored anything, if you need a recipe sans the caffeine, check out this date cake by @geminibakes here.
For the cake
- 1½ cups flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup milk
- ¾ cup oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp instant coffee
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp powdered milk
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 70g date paste
- 50g butter
- ½ cup milk
- Beat the eggs for 3 minutes, then add the sugar and oil. Once combined, mix in 1 cup milk, vanilla extract, instant coffee, salt, cocoa powder and powdered milk. Beat again until fully incorporated.
- Once the mixture is smooth, add the flour and baking powder and fold gently until well combined, and there are no visible lumps.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 180°C.
- Meanwhile, mix the date paste, butter and ½ cup milk. Blitz with a hand mixer until smooth.
- Transfer to a saucepan and place over a low heat. Stir until evenly heated and add more milk if necessary.
- When cake is ready, let sit. Once cooled, drizzle with the sauce and serve.