Layal Harmouch, the foodie behind @geminibakes, shares the recipe for her gloriously sticky date cake with butterscotch sauce.
This decadent dessert is a true classic. The best bit? It’s deceptively easy to make. Here, Layal Harmouch (AKA the foodie behind @geminibakes) shares her recipe for the ultimate Date Cake with Butterscotch Sauce. Serve it warm, and we guarantee, everyone will be back for seconds, and thirds.
For the cake
- 1¼ cup water
- 1¼ cups soft dates, de-seeded
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 60g butter
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 150ml cream
- 100g butter
- Combine the dates and water in a saucepan. Place over a medium-high heat and bring to boil. Once boiling, remove from heat and add the bicarbonate of soda. Let sit for five minutes.
- Move the date mixture to a bowl. Add the eggs and 60g butter and mix until well combined, using an electric blender.
- Then, add the ¾ cup brown sugar and flour and mix again until well combined.
- Butter a cake tin and sprinkle with flour. Then, transfer mixture into the cake tin and bake for 20-25 mins at 170°C. Meanwhile, place butter, cream and brown sugar in a saucepan over a medium heat. Whisk until smooth and well combined and then remove from the heat.
- Once the cake is ready, pour the sauce over and serve immediately.