The perfect winter pick-me-up, foodie extraordinaire, Sawsan Abu Farha (AKA @chefindisguise), shares her recipe for hearty, oregano and sumac infused pumpkin soup.
Does anything scream winter quite like warm, pumpkin soup? This rich, hearty recipe by foodie @chefindisguise (or Sawsan Abu Farha) makes an amazing starter or healthy supper. Infused with sumac and oregano, we’re pretty sure it’s going to be on rotation all season long.
- 1 small pumpkin
- 4 tbsp olive oil, and extra for brushing
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp oregano
- 8 cups water
- ½ tsp allspice
- 2 tsp salt
- Sumac, to taste
- Feta cheese, to taste
- Pumpkin seeds, to taste
- Fresh oregano, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. In the meantime, cut the pumpkin in half and place on a rimmed baking tray. Brush with olive oil and roast until the pumpkin is tender when pierced with a sharp knife, about 30 minutes.
- In a saucepan add the olive oil and onions, and cook over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes.
- The, add the garlic and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add the roasted pumpkin and water to the saucepan.
- Place the oregano in a teabag and add to the saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Remove the teabag of oregano and puree the soup with a hand-held mixer until smooth.
- Add allspice and salt, and mix well.
- Serve topped with sumac, feta cheese, pumpkin seeds and fresh parsley.
Shop The Look